- New UAF Architecture Framework
- Security Domain Modeling Enhancements
- Taxonomy Tables in the UAF Framework
- Integration With Data Modeler
- Integration with Cameo Concept Modeler Plugin
- Reverse Information Flow Direction
Select Framework Views for a New Project
When you create a new project, you can now easily define its structure by choosing only the views that are truly necessary. You can achieve this by using the Select Framework Views dialog.
The Select Framework Views dialog
New UAF Architecture Framework
The new UAF Architecture Framework is introduced. This framework provides a simplified UAF standard version, and is dedicated for the industry and corporate sector.
The updated framework provides UAF standard integrated with the process and data modeling capabilities.
The Containment tree shows the predefined UAF Architecture Framework structure. The couple of sample diagrams comes from the specific locations in the predefined structure.
Security Domain Modeling Enhancements
An example of the new security domain diagrams
Taxonomy Tables in the UAF Framework
Integration With Data Modeler
You can use Integration with Data Modeler for modeling the data structures. This approach is now available for UPDM 3.
The <<Entity>> stereotype is applied to the newly created Data Element and the Information Element when the Map Information and Data Elements on ERD Entities project option is set to True.
An example of the ER diagrams created after the integration with Data Modeler
Integration with Cameo Concept Modeler Plugin
Starting with this version, the Cameo Concept Modeler Plugin (CCM) is integrated into the Cameo Enterprise Architecture, UPDM2, and UPDM3 plugins. This plugin replaces the Soa+ Plugin.
You can make the ontology modeling available in the UPDM projects by creating the Concept Modeling Diagram from the Create Diagram dialog. After the diagram is created, the CCM profiles are loaded, and CCM features are available in the project.
Please note, the Autostyler plugin is not included, but it is available in the Resource/Plugin Manager.
Reverse Information Flow Direction
Process Shape for the Operational Activities
Operational Activities can now be represented by the Process shape in a diagram. The Process shape is available for the Operational Activities that own the Process diagrams. If you need to show the Operational Activity as a Process shape, set the Show Stereotype symbol property to Show As Image.
NOTE. This feature is available when BPMN compliance is turned on. To turn BPMN compliance on, set the BPMN compliance option to True in the Project Options dialog.
An example of the Operational Activities represented by the Process shape
Other UPDM 3 Enhancements
- The following diagram changes are introduced:
- The Project Connectivity is now represented by the Class diagram.
- The Project Connectivity matrix type is now changed to Project Responsibility Traceability.
- Now, element collection according to the selected criteria is improved for all UPDM matrices.
- The following tables are enhanced:
- Typical / Actual measurement
In this version of Cameo Enterprise Architecture, legends provide a way for the user to specify the condition, e.g., Risk Level=High, for a legend item, and visualize model elements in diagrams when conditions are met. Your work becomes considerably easier as the visualization of all elements that meet the specified condition is now automatically changed.
You can add visual effects such as icons, symbol transparency, or symbol background color.
The example below demonstrates how the style of legend items can be applied to element symbols. In the displayed diagram, the icons added to the legend items of the Risk legend show the level of risk, whereas the fill colors in the Status legend identify the status of displayed requirements. Learn more about using legends >>
Usage of dynamic legends in a Requirement Diagram.
New Features for Collaboration
Teamwork Cloud has a new functionality related to the management of changes in server projects. This new functionality allows you to review the changes in a model in different views, such as by the scope of a package, an author, or the users working on a specific scope or package. The differences in a model and upcoming changes from the server can now be reviewed and compared. A new feature for creating a server project from a predefined template is also now available.
Teamwork Cloud has significant performance improvements for large teams - the new multi-node clustering support that allows you to connect multiple TWCloud servers. Learn more about TWCloud >>
Instead of having to compare two projects in order to visually analyze the changes between them, you can now compare just the diagrams. This new feature is extremely helpful when working on large projects.
Visualization of diagram differences.
A server can send you a notification when changes are made by other people in a server project on which you are currently working. Additionally, you can see who made commitments, and how they modified the model by comparing element by element.
Enhancements in Project Merging
Merging projects becomes considerably quicker, and will no longer require complete model locking. Essentially, you can merge single elements or diagrams of your model without interfering with other team-members working on the same projects.
Now, you can protect your server projects with a password. The password covers all project versions, and can be set or removed by a project owner or a user having Administer Projects permission.
Setting a password for a selected project.
Creating server projects from templates
You can now create a new server project from a predefined template. As in creating local projects, you need to simply select a project template and a location (category) when creating a server project.
Creating a new server project from a template.
News for Developers
- A command-line Interface for users and permissions management has been created.
- REST API to access a model from the server can now be used.
In this new release, working with Cameo Enterprise Architecture tables is now as easy as working with tables in Microsoft Excel. The new functionalities listed below have markedly improved the usability of all Cameo Enterprise Architecture tables and allows you:
- To navigate between cells using the keyboard.
- To copy and paste data between Cameo Enterprise Architecture tables and Excel spreadsheets, and Cameo Enterprise Architecture table cells .
- To select the entire column, row, or table.
- To clear the cell values.
- To sort by multi-criteria.
The multi-sorting and multi-selection in Cameo Enterprise Architecture tables.
Cameo Enterprise Architecture is now upgraded with a special Port layout reusability mechanism that:
- Saves time when trying to ensure good-looking diagrams.
- Increases the readability of Composite Structure diagrams.
This new functionality enables you to keep the same appearance of Parts, including their Ports positions, each time when representing them in different diagrams, as depicted in the example. The appearance is defined in templates that can represent different aspects of your designs, e.g., electrical, optical, mechanical.
Usage of a layout template.
Diagram aspects allows you to quickly create the different structural views, e.g., electrical, mechanical, optical, for the system structure. Using diagram aspects provides the following benefits:
- Simplified drill-down navigation through diagrams.
- Accelerated development of a particular view diagram.
- Multiple layout templates definition and usage.
The figure below demonstrates three SysML Internal Block Diagrams of the same Climate Control Hardware system. Two of them are of different aspects: electrical and communication. The IBD with electrical aspect shows only the electrical structure of Climate Control Hardware system. Correspondingly, the IBD with communication aspect shows only the communication structure. Learn more about diagram aspects >>
The Climate Control Hardware through electrical and communication aspects. The illustration displays concepts from SysML Plugin.
The new expression evaluation capability is added into the expression editor. It allows you to run/execute an expression on the actual testing model while editing. Learn more about evaluating expressions >>
Expression Evaluation dialog showing the expression body in the left and values of parameters in the right.
Copy/Paste in the Expression dialog
In the Expression dialog, you can copy and paste the selected structured expressions. Select the whole or a part of the structured expression in one dialog and paste it into the same or another dialog.
In addition, you can copy the structured expression:
- from one smart package and paste it into another;
- from the matrices and paste them into the relation maps and vice versa;
- and use it in the smart package.
Parametric Diagram Automation
The new Parametric Diagram automation functionality allows for the creation of a model in a matter of seconds. You can type or paste a mathematical equation into the Parametric Equation Wizard, and then the modeling tool automatically creates the SysML Parametric Diagram with the required elements. The following example shows how to use this new wizard when trying to create the new Parametric Diagram from a mathematical equation. Learn more how to create a Parametric Diagram from the equation >>
The SysML Parametric diagram creation from the Parametric Equation Wizard by performing four main steps: 1. Type or paste the constraint expression; 2. Parse and Map; 3. Review and/or change mapping; 4. Confirm.
The structure of instances is created in the Containment tree after defining the initial value in the IDB diagram.
Quick Initial Value Definition
A new Initial Value definition mechanism allows you to more quickly redefine a default property value by skipping many manual steps. You are now able to define a context-specific initial value directly from the part shape in the Internal Block Diagrams, and then a structure of instances creates automatically in the model. To do this, from the shortcut menu of the part, select Tools > Define Context-Specific Initial Value, and choose a required Value Property. Also Context-Specific Values and Default Values compartments are changed to a single, more standard-compliant Initial Values compartment. It displays initial values directly on the Part Property shape. Learn more about Initial Values Compartments >>
The implied connector’s functionality helps you to analyze the relations among parts in the Internal Block Diagrams. It informs you that parts are somehow related without giving you the detailed view of actual connectors and ports. Our modeling tool allows you to display implied relations between parts that are connected through ports/interfaces. As shown on the left side of the figure below, implied relation is represented as a dashed line with a short summary in the label of how many actual connectors are underneath. You can show actual connectors and ports directly from the implied relation. Learn more how to display implied relations >>
On the left side: the implied relation shows that 18 connectors exist between TV and TV Tuner parts. On the right side: all 18 actual connectors and ports are shown by using the Semantic Zoom In, or Display Underlying Connectors command.
- You are now able to validate a separate element, elements recursively, or diagram directly from the Model Browser. Learn more about starting the validation >>
The validation commands that are available in Containment tree.
- All validation suites can now be included in the validation process when using the Validation dialog.
The Validation dialog with All Validation Suites selected.
- With this version, in Standard and higher editions, you can run validation rules without any restrictions. Learn more about validation >>
- OCL execution engine now achieves better performance and compliance with the latest OCL specification version 2.4.
- Derived properties can now be used in OCL expressions.
- Scripts having multiple parameters can now be defined using OCL in structured expressions.
Date and Time Setting Improvements
Cameo Enterprise Architecture offers a simpler way to set date and time property values. When you try to specify a property with a date type value, the Date and Time Settings dialog opens to assist you with this task. Learn more about setting the time>>
The figure displays the Date and Time Settings dialog with specified date, time, and time zone values.
The Diagram Used Elements operation is added into the built-in operations library for structured expressions. Using this operation, all elements that are used in a selected diagram are collected automatically.
- The Quick properties panel > Properties tab has been enhanced in the following ways:
- The Tags tab is added to the Properties tab of the Quick properties panel. You can now modify the tagged values easier.
- In earlier versions, in the Quick properties panel > Properties tab, you could edit only the primitive properties, such as the visibility or the applied stereotype for the multiple selected elements. In this version, the Quick properties panel enhancement allows you to edit the reference properties of the multiple selected elements directly in the Properties tab. For example, you can set a behavior for the multiple selected CallBehaviorActions, or change a type for multiple Parts/Properties.
- All matrices have become more user-friendly diagrams after the Quick properties panel > Properties tab shows the properties of the selected element in the matrix. In earlier versions, instead of element properties, only the matrix properties were shown.
- Now, after typing a Send Signal Action name, the new Signal element is created in the model automatically.
You can now hide the type name of the Connector on the diagram pane by setting the Show Type option value to false in the Symbol Properties dialog. Learn more about hiding type name of Connector >>
- You can now identify the number of criteria and the direction of relations between the same elements directly in the Dependency Matrix cell. Learn more about cell content in the Dependency Matrix >>
- The Class and Composite Structure Diagrams Layout mechanisms now take into account the direction of ports. For example, if the layout orientation is from left to right, the port with direction in is arranged on the left side of the shape, the port with direction out is arranged on the right side of the shape.
- The hierarchic layout mechanism now considers labels when arranging shapes. You can specify the Label consideration mode (Full, Partial, or None) in the Diagram Layout Options dialog. Learn more how to use label consideration mode >>
Announcement about Discontinued Integrations
This 18.5 modeling tool version is the last version supporting the openArchitectureWare (oAW) and AndroMDA integrations. In the next version, the integration will be dropped. Also, there will be the following product line changes starting with version 19.0:
- The Personal edition is discontinued to develop for all modeling tools.
- For business process modeling, only the Cameo Business Modeler plugin will be supported. The development of Cameo Business Modeler tool is discontinued after the current version.
- For Cameo Enterprise Architecture, only the Enterprise edition remains. Support of other editions is discontinued. We assure you that the modeling features will not be affected by this change.
- Development of the Cameo SOA+ plugin will be discontinued after the current version. However, you will still be able to load projects created in earlier versions with this plugin in your modeling tool. SoaML diagrams will be converted to pure UML diagrams and maintenance of the SoaML profile will continue.
- You can now show unit symbols on the column header in the instance tables when all values in the columns are of the same unit. Learn more about displaying unit symbols >
- Dot notation for property path representation is improved by showing property type names when properties are unnamed. In earlier versions, you had to enable this feature by setting the Show Type Names in Nested Path property value to true. Learn more about property path notation >>
- Now, in version 18.5, you have the ability to apply rollup patterns for Instance Specifications. This helps you to analyze at the instance level, and keep the architecture model unchanged. Learn more about the Rollup Pattern Wizard >>