Cameo Systems Modeler 18.4 Documentation
18.4 improves our industry leading Model Based Engineering platform with new ways to get your most important modeling tasks done quicker and more efficiently. We are confident that the new features and tools included in version18.4 will help you collaborate more efficiently with your team, construct and visualize your models faster, and analyze your designs for safety and reliability. Get it today on nomagic.com or contact your sales representative, and don't forget to give us your feedback on Twitter or Facebook.
- Parts and Ports Management
- Rapid Element Creations
- Hierarchical Display Modes
- Extracting Requirements Values to Constraints
- Displaying and Specifying Units
Parts and Ports Management
The MagicDraw Parts and Ports Management functionality works in two SysML diagrams: Internal Block Definition (IBD) and Parametric (PAR). In IBDs, you can now display existing ports and properties when selecting them by kinds (e.g. Part property, Proxy Port) and applied custom stereotypes (e.g. mechanical, electrical, optical). In PARs, you can display existing Constraint Parameters and Constraint Properties using the new Display Parameters/Properties dialog instead of the Select Parameters dialog. All of these features provide a simpler workflow and significantly increase the speed and accuracy of internal structure creation.
Figure 1: new dialog of SysML Parametric diagram.
Rapid Element Creation
You can now quickly find the element you want to create using a new Create Element filter. When creating a new element, a dialog box appears to allow a quicker discovery of the desired element type. This dialog box reduces the number of steps for the most frequent actions such as creating diagrams, creating relationships, and refactoring.
Figure 1: shows element creation in earlier versions of MagicDraw vs. the ease of element creation in version 18.4.
Hierarchical Display Modes
Now you can manage, analyze, and review any amount of data in tables quicker and easier with the help of Hierarchical Display Modes. The content of any table can now be hierarchically displayed in a tree-like structure. Several display modes list rows hierarchically according to the elements containment:
- Complete tree mode displays elements with all their owners in the column header.
- Compact tree mode displays elements with their direct and common owners in the column header.
This feature allows you to see how elements relate to each other, a view not possible using plain lists in previous versions of MagicDraw.
Extracting Requirement Values to Constraints
A new feature parses requirements text to automatically create Constraint Expressions. This ability allows MagicDraw's glossary mechanism to match commonly used phrases with mathematical constructs. For example, the text "not exceed 1500" of the Max Weight requirement is automatically transformed to the following Constraint "mass<=1500". This functionality works using specific condition phrases (e.g. less than, at least) that are defined in a requirements term glossary. Users can see this term glossary in the tool as well as define their own condition phrases.
Figure 2. shows Extracting Constraints from Requirement transformed automatically.
Displaying and Specifying Units
In version 18.4, you can display and specify units next to values, and specify directly on Value Specifications by enabling two new options:
- Show Units option in the Project Options dialog.
- Show Units on Values option in the Instance table.
This new feature enable you to see units, and to change them quickly in appropriate locations.
Figure 2: shows the ability to change already displayed unit directly on the Instance Specification shape: from gram to kilogram.
Quick Creation of Constraint Parameters
The new Parse and Create Parameters button allows you to quickly parse and create Constraint Parameters. The button appears on the Smart Manipulator toolbar of the Constraint Property shape after creating or editing a Constraint Expression. Compared to previous versions, the number of steps to create Constraint Parameters is greatly reduced, and modeling in Parametric diagram is significantly faster.
Figure 3: shows the fragment of Coffee Machine sample which appears after installing the SysML plugin.
Safety and Reliability Analysis (Technology Preview)
MagicDraw version 18.4 introduces a technology preview of the Cameo Safety and Reliability Analyzer (CSRA) plugin. CSRA enables a model-based approach to safety and reliability analysis. The plugin also supports the Failure Mode, Effects Analysis, Criticality Analysis (FMECA), and Hazard Analysis which conforms to IEC 62304 and ISO 14971:2007 medical standards.
Using Cameo Safety and Reliability Analyzer (CSRA) ensures:
- Full customizability allowing you to add your own data columns and customize risk calculation rules and reports.
- Integration into the No Magic MBSE toolkit.
- Validation if risks are addressed by safety requirements/risk control measures.
- Quicker iterations between safety analysis, reliability analysis, and design phases.
- Traceability from risks to requirements, design elements, and other artifacts, as well as traceability from design elements to FMECA and two-way traceability between FMECA and risks/hazard analysis.
- Safety analysis, automatic Risk Score Number calculations and risk reduction analysis.
- Impact analysis which automatically identifies failure modes needing attention from the hazard analysis cross-functional team.
Efficient Collaboration with Teamwork Cloud
Many new features have been added to promote efficiency and clarity when collaboratively building models using Teamwork Cloud. The Commit Project to the Server window presents the changed elements during the local session in a nested tree view with simple navigation. You will now see a notification if another member of your team commits an update to the model on which you are working. Significant new functionality has been added for project administrators to manipulate Project Usages in Teamwork Cloud.
Figure 3: The new Commit Project to Server window, all changed elements are highlighted in a color which corresponds to a particular action in the dialog box.
With these new features you can:
- Embed in local projects
- Remove a project usage (including standard/system profiles)
- Lock and unlock project usages
- Change or update sticky version of a project usage
- Reload usages from local project file
- Import a used project into the model
Offline Mode for Server Projects
When working on a model stored in Teamwork Cloud, you can now store an offline copy of a project, and commit project changes later. By clicking on the Save Changes Locally command in the Collaborate menu, you can disconnect form the server and reconnect later to commit your changes. Offline mode also allows you to work on several Teamwork Cloud projects at the same time, even if those projects are located on different servers. This new feature results in faster and safer modeling by allowing you to save incremental changes locally, continue modeling without a server connection, and reduce the amount of time spent committing those changes to the server.
Figure 2: The Manage Projects window showing the multiple projects feature which allows you to have several Teamwork Cloud projects open at once.
Product Line Engineering (PLE) Support
Version 18.4 of MagicDraw introduces support for Product Line Engineering tools from Big Lever Software, Inc.TM and pure-systems Gmbh. Users of the product-specific plugins for Big Lever Gears and pure::variants PLE environments benefit from the ability to dynamically create a system model of a particular variant. Through integration components that read the exact features contained in the selected variant, MagicDraw can “slice” a superset model containing all product variations, producing the system model with only the variant’s features.
Figure 4: Using MagicDraw to dynamically create a system model of a particular variant.
Users can now set or change the direction prefix (in, out, or inout) of the flow property by editing it directly in the compartments area of the Block (or its subtypes) shape.
Implied relation operation has been improved by adding definable hierarchies that allow you to recursively collect elements, not only through generalization and composition, but any other available operation or combination of them. This feature allows you to then customize implied relation operation to meet your needs.
Report Wizard now provides more flexibility by allowing you to:
- Generate reports from a specific Teamwork Cloud project version.
- Choose whether or not .svg graphics in Web Publisher 2.0 reports are linkable or resizable.
- Retrieve information about used projects (modules).
- Utilize the new Generic Table Export template to dynamically export column elements of the Generic Table diagram.
MagicDraw 18.4 includes new modeling features and extended capability of existing features. Some of the new updates are a new smart manipulator toolbar, new drag-and-drop features, extended menu commands, and workflows.
Enhanced features for diagrams include the ability to:
- Display full-size images on symbols in a diagram. Learn more about applying images >>
- Hide multiplicities displayed next to the Parts or Ports type.
- Delete elements only from Smart Package content. Learn more about removing elements from a Smart Package >>
- Align multi-line body text of an Opaque Action to the left.
- Set UML Expressions that are used as Property Slot or Default Values to Read-only in online editor and diagram.
- Align text of tagged values and constraints on shapes.
- If the Element Type box is specified as a stereotype with an abstract metaclass, users can now select only stereotype's tags and metaclass properties as table columns.
- The Glossary table now supports capitalized acronyms. Learn more about the usage of acronyms in Glossary table >>
- The numbers of the elements can now be displayed in any table.Learn more about displaying elements numbers in tables >>
- A new Selection toolbar in the diagram palette provides commands to select siblings, elements of the same type, elements with the same stereotype applied, elements that are all connected, are elements connected recursively, and all elements on the diagram.
A new search field in the Select Element Type dialog allows you to easily find desired elements.
- Improved dialogs have been added for editing of time and date settings.
- The program launcher on Mac OS X is upgraded. The correct application name is now shown in the Dock and Activity Monitor.
- UML Value Specifications are not recreated after modification.They are now used as values of Slots or default values of Properties.
CPU/Memory Profiler Plugin is not Supported
- As of version 18.4, MagicDraw no longer supports the CPU Memory Profiler Plugin. Instead, we suggest using the Java VirtualVM.
Installation and Licensing
- The latest FlexNet license server version 11.13.1 is supported.