Magic Systems of Systems Architect
Released on: July 7, 2023
The latest release of the 2022x Refresh2 version introduces several notable enhancements. These include the incorporation of UAF Behavior to Structure synchronization, an improved swimlane representative selection dialog, the addition of NAF 4.0 diagrams and tables, and the implementation of background actions logging. Additionally, you can expect improvements to the Gantt Chart and various other enhancements.
This version introduces improvements to MagicGrid projects, as now you can easily create additional MagicGrid package structures for components and subsystems in MagicGrid projects.
The 2022x Refresh2 release introduces performance improvements to both the client-side and Teamwork Cloud-side, as well as general modeling and collaborative modeling enhancements.
The client-side performance enhancements include improved validation performance and decreased table opening time.
For general modeling, this release presents new syncing with Excel options, the ability to temporarily activate or deactivate legends without the diagram lock, and automated package structure creation.
Additionally, collaborative modeling is improved with a technology preview of a new file exchange format .szip, allowing faster transfer of models between OEMs and suppliers, the ability to view Teamwork Cloud data markings in Magic Software Architect, and other enhancements. Also, Power'By has been updated with standard profiles migration and the ability to cut used project references if the used project is not found.
- New File Exchange Format for Server Projects (Technology Preview)
- Teamwork Cloud Data Markings in Magic Software Architect
- Enhanced Set as Latest Functionality
- Pre-merge Check of Project Permissions
- Recursive Global Element Usage Search
- Other fixes/improvements
UAF Behavior to Structure Synchronization
Keeping your Internal Connectivity diagrams consistent with Activities can be tedious, but UAF Behavior to Structure Synchronization can simplify the process. With UAF Behavior to Structure Synchronization, achieving full synchronization between your structure model and behavior model has never been easier. This feature validates Asset Roles in Internal Connectivity diagrams, checks for the presence of Ports that are typed by compatible Interfaces, and identifies any missing Connectors and Exchanges to be created automatically.
With this technology, coherence between your Activities and Internal Connectivity diagrams will be maintained at any model maturity level. If any inconsistencies arise, the system will detect them and provide you with individual solutions to address each one; thus, you can save valuable time and energy while ensuring the accuracy and consistency of your model.
The Swimlane representative selection dialog has been enhanced. Now when creating swimlanes, you will be prompted to select both property types and properties.
- The available types: Operational Agent / Service / Resource Performer / Organizational Resource
- The available properties: Operational / Service / Resource Roles
Properties contained by the Context and/or Performer of IsCapabaleToPerform relation will be pre-selected by default when:
- Context and/or Is Capable To Perform relations are known,
- Context and/or Performer (which acts as an Activity Context) has structural elements (Operational / Service / Resource Roles).
Framework and Diagramming
NAF 4.0 Framework improvements
The NAF 4.0 Framework improvements were implemented in this version by adding the new Taxonomy diagram and tables. Click each diagram or table hyperlink to learn more:
- A8 Standards Taxonomy Diagram
- A8 Standards Taxonomy Table
- C1 Capability Taxonomy Table
- S1 Service Taxonomy Table
- L1 Node Types Table
- P1 Resource Types Table
Background actions logging
Beginning with the 2022x Refresh2 version, the Background Actions Logging Feature will be available. This feature aims to provide more clarity by informing you about the additional elements and relationships created in the model but cannot be shown in the diagram. The logged background actions will be displayed in the notification window, allowing you to see what new elements and relationships are created and navigate to them from the Notification window to the Containment tree.
The affected UAF diagrams include the following:
- Strategic Phasing Diagram
- Projects Roadmap
- Services Roadmap
- Personnel Evolution
- Resources Evolution
- Personnel Availability Gantt Chart
- Personnel Forecast
- Resources Forecast
- Standards Roadmap
This feature is implemented in UAF and all supported Architecture Framework diagrams.
Gantt Charts improvements
- The Gantt Chart diagrams were enhanced to display bars with triangles when the Start Date is specified and the End Date is empty:
- Project Roadmap
- Actual Strategic Phases Gannt Chart
- Project Roadmap
- Adding new Actual Projects and Actual Sub Projects in the Project Roadmap, the End Date is no longer filled out by default. You can always specify the End Date later. Learn more>>>
- A new validation rule is added. This rule checks if Actual Projects connected with the Project Sequence relationship have End Dates set according to the specified Project Sequence type/kind. Learn more>>>
- The filtering in Gantt Chart diagrams was improved to match how the filtering works in the tables. Learn more>>>
- In compliance with the UAF 1.2 specification, the new column Kind is implemented in the Strategic Taxonomy Table.
- Switching between projects with different Architecture Framework related perspectives has been improved. When you work with two projects using different perspectives than those projects were created with and switch between them, a new message is displayed. In that message, you can choose whether to change the perspective according to the project's framework or the latest used perspective. Learn more>>>
- The Instance Specification related actions have been improved:
- When you drag an Instance Specification and drop it on another Instance Specification shape, a slot is assigned by default if the structure between Instance Specification types is defined respectively.
- When you drag and drop or move the Instance Specification shape inside another Instance Specification, the first action in the shortcut menu is Move Here.
- The Strategic Processes diagram is now suggested by default when you create instances for a Strategic Phase and choose to create a diagram afterward.
- Migration to UAF1.2: the migration experience was enhanced. Now you will be informed about cyclic, directly, and indirectly used projects so that you can solve those usages in the correct order and continue the migration successfully. Learn more about migration>>> Learn more about migration issues on Teamwork Cloud>>>
- Property Set now groups measurements and a direct measurement name is added to the PropertySet name in the Specification Window.
- The setting of Stream for UAF Parameters or Pins with specified Sync Element has been simplified by adding a Stream command to the shortcut menu.
- The Operational/Resource Role Impact Analysis Map creation from the selected context element - Operational/Resource Role - is now improved.
- The Resource/Service/Operational Exchange item selection window, accessible from the Resources/Services/Operational Connectivity table or Exchange Manager window, has been enhanced. The Conveyed items are now filtered according to the selected Resources/Services/Operational Exchange kind.
- The Problem Domain property creation under Operational Performer and Operational Architecture in the Operational Internal Connectivity diagram has been enhanced.
- The Security Process Flow diagram now includes a fix that ensures the creation of Operational and Resource Parameters with the correct stereotype.
- The diagram palette of the Entity Relation Diagram has been simplified by leaving only the Information Model group instead of Conceptual, Logical, and Physical. Also, a Strategic Information button was added.
- The symbol styles for Service Interface and Whole Life Enterprise have been fixed.
- The solver for the COR2012 validation rule was changed from Remove Conveyed Item to Add/Remove Conveyed Item. The updated Add/Remove Conveyed Item solver adds a conveyed item if it is missing or asks to choose which conveyed item should be removed. Learn more>>>
Automated Package Structure Creation in MagicGrid Projects
2022x Refresh2 introduces a means to easily create a MagicGrid-based package structure for a block that represents a logical subsystem or component within the solution domain model. Previously, this could have been achieved by copy-pasting the package structure of an existing subsystem or component; however, now you can use the Create Package Structure command, providing you with a fast and easy approach.
Creating a MagicGrid-based package structure via the Create Package Structure command.
Client-side Performance Improvements
Validation Performance Improvements. Running the validation on the entire model or a selected part is 2-5 times faster, depending on the model, than in 2022x Refresh1.
A chart comparing the time it takes to execute the Validate Elements Recursively action on an entire project in 2022x Refresh1 and 2022x Refresh2.
- Performance Improvements. Opening a table is now significantly faster than in 2022x Refresh1. Tables with a large number of rows and columns (especially custom columns) will have noticeably decreased opening times. Table
A chart comparing the opening time of a table in a SysML project in 2022x Refresh1 and 2022x Refresh2. Now it is 5 times faster.
- From now on, when a classifier containing ports is specified in an Instance table, the ports, along with their nested structure, are available for selection in the Select Columns dialog's Properties tab.
Modeling and Infrastructure
New Syncing with Excel File Options
Syncing with Excel files in tables is now improved with additional options:
- Skipping empty rows and/or columns upon import. If your Excel file contains any purposely created empty rows or columns, you can now skip them instead of stopping the import at the empty row or column, allowing you more control over the data import.
All data in the Excel file, including data following the empty row No. 5, is imported to the modeling tool.
- Color marking modified data upon export. You can now color-mark exported table data based on its changes. This allows you to easily review data changes and make necessary adjustments in the Excel file based on this information.
Exported table data is color-marked based on its changes. Red indicates removed, blue - updated, and green - added data.
- Mapping elements by ID upon export. From now on, you can map elements by ID upon export, which allows you to export new additional table data to a synced file without overwriting previously existing content in the file.
Check user permissions row is added to the synced Excel file Constraints in Generic Table without overwriting the data already existing in the file.
- Syncing data in Plain Text or HTML upon import/export. You now have the option to import/export data in HTML (default) or Plain Text via the Sync Plain Text and Import Plain Text check box options, allowing you to choose the data format for the import/export.
The Sync Plain Text check box in the Excel/CSV Sync Options dialog and the Import Plain Text check box in the Excel/CSV Import dialog.
Manipulate Legends without Diagram Lock
You can now temporarily activate or deactivate a Legend via the Suspended/Active toggle button, allowing you to preview a diagram or table with or without adornments of a Legend without making permanent changes.
Temporarily suspending the applied Legend Status via Suspend/Active toggle button.
To learn more, watch the following video:
Automated Package Structure Creation
You can now easily create additional package structures you may require in your model. Previously, this could have been achieved by copy-pasting an existing package structure. Now you can do that efficiently by defining your package structure configurations and then creating those structures via the Create Package Structure action.
The package structure configuration element SubsystemPackages defines the subsystems package structure for a Block element.
This subsystems package structure is created for the Block element Subsystem 3 Design via the Create Package Structure action.
New File Exchange Format for Server Projects (Technology Preview)
Until now, .mdzip files were used for swapping projects in disconnected environments; however, this format is not ideal as there are issues with slow performance and project structural changes. We wanted to solve both problems to ensure faster project export and import while retaining the same project structure. Therefore, we present a technology preview of a new file exchange format: .szip. This format can be used for project export with or without used projects, adding a project as a new server project, and updating a project from a local project. We encourage our users to try out this format, which allows faster model transfer. Do not hesitate to share your feedback with us!
Teamwork Cloud Data Markings in Magic Software Architect
Teamwork Cloud data markings are now shown in Open Server Project / Manage Project and Use Server Project dialogs in Magic Software Architect. Additionally, a check is performed to ensure that users are not trying to open or use a project with a higher access level than they are assigned, in which case a notification is displayed.
Opening a server project with Teamwork Cloud data markings shown.
Enhanced Set as Latest Functionality
The Set as Latest functionality was updated and now allows users to set a specific version as the latest in another branch. Therefore, it is now possible to quickly set a particular version of the branch to be the latest in the trunk without time-consuming merging processes.
New Select Branch... option of the Set as Latest functionality.
Pre-merge Check of Project Permissions
We introduced the ability to check permissions before merging to avoid project merge delays due to delays in the delivery of error messages about insufficient permissions. The Check Permissions button is now available in the Merge Projects dialog, allowing users to see if the merge will be possible.
Merge Projects dialog with the new Check permissions button.
Recursive Global Element Usage Search
Previously, it was only possible to search for element usages individually, which is not an optimal solution in many cases. With 2022x Refresh2, we are introducing the Used By in Server Recursively option for the Search in Server action. Used By in Server Recursively works similarly to Used by in Server, except it searches for usages of the selected element and all its child elements.
Used By in Server Recursively action.
Relations (including connectors) are now represented in more detail in the conflicting changes tree of the Conflicting Changes panel.
- Remove, keep References operation has been improved to work faster.
3DEXPERIENCE Platform – Power’By
Standard Profiles Migration
To successfully migrate from 2022x Refresh1 to 2022x Refresh2, Power’By users need to upgrade their standard profiles. To help them accomplish this, we have provided a dedicated filter that allows users to select standard profiles and migrate them in bulk.
Selecting Standard Profiles in project migration dialog.
Cutting References If a Used Project Is Not Found
If users try to open a main project and its used project or projects are not found, it is possible to remove the used project or projects and cut all references. This way, users can still work on the main project.
Important updates coming with the next major version release:
- OpenJDK version change. Desktop applications (MagicDraw, Cameo Systems Modeler, Cameo Enterprise Architecture, Magic Software Architect, Magic Cyber Systems Engineer, Magic Systems of Systems Architect) and Teamwork Cloud will only run using OpenJDK 17.0.7+7 version.
- Record Macro functionality discontinuation. The Record Macro functionality will be discontinued in the next major version release.