Released on: July 7, 2023
The 2022x Refresh2 release introduces performance improvements to the client-side as well as general modeling and collaborative modeling enhancements.
The client-side performance enhancements include improved validation performance and decreased table opening time.
For general modeling, this release presents new syncing with Excel options, the ability to temporarily activate or deactivate legends without the diagram lock, and automated package structure creation.
Additionally, collaborative modeling is improved with a new file exchange format .szip, allowing faster transfer of models between OEMs and suppliers, the ability to view Teamwork Cloud data markings in MagicDraw, and other enhancements. Also, Power'By has been updated with standard profiles migration and the ability to cut used project references if the used project is not found.
- New File Exchange Format for Server Projects (Technology Preview)
- Teamwork Cloud Data Markings in MagicDraw
- Enhanced Set as Latest Functionality
- Pre-merge Check of Project Permissions
- Recursive Global Element Usage Search
- Other fixes/improvements
Client-side Performance Improvements
Validation Performance Improvements. Running the validation on the entire model or a selected part is 2-5 times faster, depending on the model, than in 2022x Refresh1.
A chart comparing the time it takes to execute the Validate Elements Recursively action on an entire project in 2022x Refresh1 and 2022x Refresh2.
- Performance Improvements. Opening a table is now significantly faster than in 2022x Refresh1. Tables with a large number of rows and columns (especially custom columns) will have noticeably decreased opening times. Table
A chart comparing the opening time of a table in a SysML project in 2022x Refresh1 and 2022x Refresh2. Now it is 5 times faster.
- From now on, when a classifier containing ports is specified in an Instance table, the ports, along with their nested structure, are available for selection in the Select Columns dialog's Properties tab.
Modeling and Infrastructure
New Syncing with Excel File Options
Syncing with Excel files in tables is now improved with additional options:
- Skipping empty rows and/or columns upon import. If your Excel file contains any purposely created empty rows or columns, you can now skip them instead of stopping the import at the empty row or column, allowing you more control over the data import.
All data in the Excel file, including data following the empty row No. 5, is imported to the modeling tool.
- Color marking modified data upon export. You can now color-mark exported table data based on its changes. This allows you to easily review data changes in the Excel file.
Exported table data is color-marked based on its changes. Red indicates removed, blue - updated, and green - added data.
- Mapping elements by ID upon export. From now on, you can map elements by ID upon export, which allows you to export new additional table data to a synced file without overwriting previously existing content in the file.
Check user permissions row is added to the synced Excel file Constraints in Generic Table without overwriting the data already existing in the file.
- Syncing data in Plain Text or HTML upon import/export. You now have the option to import/export data in HTML (default) or Plain Text via the Sync Plain Text and Import Plain Text check box options, allowing you to choose the data format for the import/export without affecting the styling specified in the file.
The Sync Plain Text check box in the Excel/CSV Sync Options dialog and the Import Plain Text check box in the Excel/CSV Import dialog.
Manipulate Legends without Diagram Lock
You can now temporarily activate or deactivate a Legend via the Suspended/Active toggle button, allowing you to preview a diagram or table with or without adornments of a Legend without making permanent changes.
Temporarily suspending the applied Legend Status via Suspend/Active toggle button.
To learn more, watch the following video:
Automated Package Structure Creation
You can now easily create additional package structures you may require in your model. Previously, this could have been achieved by copy-pasting an existing package structure. Now you can do that efficiently by defining your package structure configurations and then creating those structures via the Create Package Structure action.
The package structure configuration element SubsystemPackages defines the subsystems package structure for a Block element.
This subsystems package structure is created for the Block element Subsystem 3 Design via the Create Package Structure action.
New File Exchange Format for Server Projects (Technology Preview)
Until now, .mdzip files were used for swapping projects in disconnected environments; however, this format is not ideal as there are issues with slow performance and project structural changes. We wanted to solve both problems to ensure faster project export and import while retaining the same project structure. Therefore, we present a technology preview of a new file exchange format: .szip. This format can be used for project export with or without used projects, adding a project as a new server project, and updating a project from a local project. We encourage our users to try out this format, which allows faster model transfer. Do not hesitate to share your feedback with us!
Teamwork Cloud Data Markings in MagicDraw
Teamwork Cloud data markings are now shown in Open Server Project / Manage Project and Use Server Project dialogs in MagicDraw. Additionally, a check is performed to ensure that users are not trying to open or use a project with a higher access level than they are assigned, in which case a notification is displayed.
Opening a server project with Teamwork Cloud data markings shown.
Enhanced Set as Latest Functionality
The Set as Latest functionality was updated and now allows users to set a specific version as the latest in another branch. Therefore, it is now possible to quickly set a particular version of the branch to be the latest in the trunk without time-consuming merging processes.
New Select Branch... option of the Set as Latest functionality.
Pre-merge Check of Project Permissions
We introduced the ability to check permissions before merging to avoid project merge delays due to delays in the delivery of error messages about insufficient permissions. The Check Permissions button is now available in the Merge Projects dialog, allowing users to see if the merge will be possible.
Merge Projects dialog with the new Check permissions button.
Recursive Global Element Usage Search
Previously, it was only possible to search for element usages individually, which is not an optimal solution in many cases. With 2022x Refresh2, we are introducing the Used By in Server Recursively option for the Search in Server action. Used By in Server Recursively works similarly to Used by in Server, except it searches for usages of the selected element and all its child elements.
Used By in Server Recursively action.
Relations (including connectors) are now represented in more detail in the conflicting changes tree of the Conflicting Changes panel.
- Remove, keep References operation has been improved to work faster.
3DEXPERIENCE Platform – Power’By
Standard Profiles Migration
To successfully migrate from 2022x Refresh1 to 2022x Refresh2, Power’By users need to upgrade their standard profiles. To help them accomplish this, we have provided a dedicated filter that allows users to select standard profiles and migrate them in bulk.
Selecting Standard Profiles in project migration dialog.
Cutting References If a Used Project Is Not Found
If users try to open a main project and its used project or projects are not found, it is possible to remove the used project or projects and cut all references. This way, users can still work on the main project.
Important updates coming with the next major version release:
- OpenJDK version change. Desktop applications (MagicDraw, Cameo Systems Modeler, Cameo Enterprise Architecture, Magic Software Architect, Magic Cyber Systems Engineer, Magic Systems of Systems Architect) and Teamwork Cloud will only run using OpenJDK 17.0.7+7 version.
- Record Macro functionality discontinuation. The Record Macro functionality will be discontinued in the next major version release.
Version news of servers and plugins